The benefits system is currently undergoing the biggest change for 60 years. Six of the most significant changes are as follows:
• The introduction of Universal Credit
• The introduction of the benefits cap
• Changes to Council Tax Benefit
• Changes from Disability Living Allowance to Personal Independence Payment
• Changes to Housing Benefit
• Changes to the Social Fund.
Turn2us, a charitable service which helps people access the money available to them (through welfare benefits, grants and other help) are running a ‘Benefits Awareness Month’ in April. Turn2us offer a number of useful resources on their website which enable you to find out:
• What benefits you are entitled to using their free Benefits Calculator
• If these changes will affect you and how you can prepare yourself
• How you can keep up to date with the latest changes.
To use this excellent information service visit: http://www.turn2us.org.uk/